Dental Cleaning & Exam in Plano, TX
Dr. Thomas Simmons and the rest of our team are passionate about stopping dental issues in their tracks. This is why at the heart of what we do is good old-fashioned preventative dentistry, backed by modern dental technology and techniques.
Preventing dental disease starts at home with good oral hygiene and a balanced diet. It is fortified in our Plano dental office by the efforts of your dentist and dental hygienist to promote, restore, and maintain your oral health. We achieve this through offering comprehensive dental cleaning in Plano, TX, as well as dental exams.
THOROUGH DENTAL CLEANING
A Healthy Smile Awaits
Professional dental cleanings (aka dental prophylaxis) at Thomas Simmons DDS are performed by our Registered Dental Hygienist. Prevention also includes regular dental exams and x-rays to pick up any issues before they escalate. Preventative care helps avoid serious and costly dental problems and is the key to having a healthy, confident, and beautiful smile.
Your cleaning appointment will include a dental exam and the following:
Removal of calculus (tartar)
Removal of plaque
Why Regular Dental Cleanings and Exams Are Important
Your oral health is a mirror of your overall well-being. Here’s how regular visits to your Plano dentist can amplify your health:
- Disease Detection: A dental exam in Plano with Dr. Thomas Simmons can detect early signs of oral cancers, gum diseases, and other potential risks. Additionally, there’s a strong connection between oral health and systemic diseases, including cardiovascular diseases. Regular checks can potentially pinpoint these health issues before they become life-threatening or difficult to treat.
- Tooth Decay Prevention: Regular teeth cleanings can get rid of plaque, which is the primary cause of tooth decay.
- Prevention Over Intervention: Early detection of cavities, gum diseases, and oral anomalies reduces the need for complex procedures later on.
- Gum Health: Periodontal disease, which leads to the loss of your jaw bone if left untreated, starts with inflamed gums. Early detection and treatment can prevent this from occurring.
- Boost Self-Esteem: A clean, fresh smile enhances confidence, impacting social and professional interactions.
- Cost-Effective: Regular upkeep reduces the risk of complications that are expensive to treat.
What We Look for During Your Dental Exam
Your dental exam with Dr. Simmons is not a mere check-up. It’s a detailed insight into your oral health:
- Tooth by Tooth Inspection: Beyond just identifying decay, each tooth is inspected for signs of wear, potential cracks, and the state of existing fillings. Each tooth’s health can impact the overall well-being of the mouth.
- Gum Health Assessment: Healthy gums are the foundation of good oral health. We measure the pockets between teeth and gums, identifying early signs of gum diseases and recommending appropriate treatments.
- Jaw and Bite Analysis: To ensure your bite is aligned and there’s no TMJ (Temporomandibular Joint) issue.
- Oral Cancer Screening: An extremely vital but often overlooked part of dental exams. Dr. Simmons carefully examines the mouth for any potential signs of oral cancer.
- Orthodontic Evaluation: If you’ve ever considered straightening your teeth, Dr. Simmons can guide you on whether Invisalign, a modern alternative to traditional braces, would be suitable.
Dental Problems Regular Cleanings Can Prevent
- Gum Disease: Regular teeth cleaning in Plano, TX, can prevent gum diseases, which are infections of the tissues that hold your teeth in place.
- Tooth Loss: Gum disease, left untreated, can lead to tooth loss. Regular cleanings and check-ups can nip potential problems in the bud.
- Bad Breath: Regular dental cleaning can prevent persistent bad breath.
- Other Diseases: Regular dental check-ups can help in the early detection of diseases like oral cancer.
- Sensitivity: Over time, plaque build-up can erode the enamel, leading to sensitivity. Regular cleanings halt this process, ensuring your teeth remain robust.
- Stains: Daily life can stain our teeth. Coffee, tea, wine, and other consumables have staining agents. Regular cleanings ensure these stains are kept at bay, maintaining the brilliance of your smile.
- Oral Infections: Infections can lead to pain, bad breath, and even systemic complications if bacteria enter the bloodstream.
Types of Dental Cleanings
Depending on the state of your oral health, Dr. Simmons may recommend one of several types of dental cleanings:
- Prophylaxis: This is your standard cleaning, where plaque build-up and superficial stains are tackled. It’s recommended for individuals who maintain good oral hygiene and show no signs of gum disease.
- Scaling and Root Planing: Often referred to as deep cleaning, this is recommended when there are signs of gum disease. It is a non-surgical procedure to treat gum disease which involves deep cleaning below the gumline.
- Gross Debridement: If a patient hasn’t been to the dentist for several years and has a lot of plaque build-up, this special teeth cleaning procedure can remove the thickest tartar build up.
What to Expect During a Dental Exam At Thomas Simmons DDS
During your dental exam with your Plano dentist, Dr. Simmons, he will:
- Comprehensive Consultation: A detailed discussion helps us understand your oral hygiene routine, dietary habits, concerns, or any specific symptoms you might be experiencing.
- Digital X-Rays: Modern dentistry relies on high-resolution imagery. X-rays allow us to identify issues that might not be visible during a standard inspection, such as root infections or jawbone density problems.
- Tailored Recommendations: Post-exam, Dr. Simmons provides personalized advice. Whether it’s suggesting the right oral care products or recommending dietary changes, everything is tailored to your specific needs.
What to Expect During a Dental Cleaning
At Thomas Simmons DDS, a typical “teeth cleaning in Plano, TX” involves:
- Ultrasonic Scaling: This modern equipment uses high-frequency vibrations to gently, yet effectively, remove stubborn plaque and tartar without causing any discomfort.
- Tooth Polishing: Post scaling, teeth are polished using a mildly abrasive paste. This step ensures that your teeth are not just clean but also feel smooth.
- Fluoride Treatment: Acting as a final protective barrier, fluoride treatment strengthens the teeth and guards against potential cavities. In terms of duration, while a standard cleaning typically lasts between 30 minutes to an hour, more intensive treatments like deep cleanings can extend beyond this timeframe.
What is a dental cleaning called?
Typically, a regular dental cleaning is called a prophylaxis.
How often should teeth cleaning be done?
Most patients should have their teeth cleaned every six months. However, those with specific issues might need more frequent visits.
What happens if you don’t go to the dentist for 2 years?
Neglecting dental check-ups can lead to gum disease, decay, and other oral health problems such as heart disease and sleep apnea.
Does teeth cleaning help with bad breath?
Yes, regular dental cleanings can help significantly reduce bad breath.
What happens to your teeth after dental cleaning?
Teeth typically feel smoother, look brighter, and the mouth feels fresher.
Will deep cleaning save my teeth?
Deep cleaning can halt the progress of gum disease, helping to prevent potential tooth loss.
How to prepare for a dental cleaning?
Brush and floss your teeth as you normally would. Provide any updates to your health history or medications.
Brighten Your Smile With Teeth Cleaning in Plano, TX
In search of the leading Plano dentist? Dr. Thomas Simmons is here to cater to all your dental needs. From a comprehensive dental exam to a dental cleaning in Plano, TX, we promise to provide you with exceptional care. Enhance your smile, boost your confidence, and lean towards a healthier oral future. Schedule your appointment today!
Ask About Our New Patient Special
6861 Coit Rd. Ste A, Plano, TX 75024
7:15am – 5:00pm
7:15am – 6:00pm
7:15am – 6:00pm
7:15am – 2:00pm